Steps to Physician Referral
Guidelines for referring your patients to an infertility specialist.
When to Refer
When to consider referring your patients to our center depends on many factors. Certainly your own comfort level in treating infertility patients, as they require more advanced care (i.e. gonadotropin injections, sperm processing etc), is an important factor.
You might consider referring patients in the following situations:
• Day 2 or 3 FSH level of 8.0 or above (these patients need urgent treatment)
• Female age 35 and over (these patients have little time and need urgent treatment)
• Abnormal semen analysis
• Unilateral or Bilateral Tubal obstruction(surgery generally has significantly lower success rates than IVF)
• History of Gonorrhea, Chlamydia or tubal surgery
• History of Myomectomy
• History of ovarian surgery
• History of endometriosis
• Failure to ovulate with Clomiphene treatment or 3 or more unsuccessful cycles of Clomid (these patients
usually need gonadotropin injection therapy)
What you can do prior to referring your Patients
When patients first come in to meet with us it is helpful to have a copy of records of their prior evaluation and treatment. Obtaining a day 2 or 3 FSH and estradiol level, HSG, and semen analysis prior to referral will give us useful information to work with at their first visit.
If you are referring a patient specifically for IVF, and you want to help with the patient’s evaluation prior to IVF, the following tests are needed:
1. Day 2 or 3 FSH and estradiol level
2. Hysterosalpingogram (HSG)
3. General preconceptual labs including CBC, Blood type and Rh, Rubella titre, Varicella titre, Cystic Fibrosis
4. Infectious disease testing on both partners to include: RPR, Hep BSAg, Hep C AB, HIV, HTLV 1 and 2.
We will try to keep you informed of your patient’s progress after referral to our center. We always refer patients back to their referring physician once they achieve a pregnancy.
Please do not hesitate to call to speak with Dr. Shapiro and Dr. Daneshmand anytime you have any questions about your infertility patients. Contact us at 702-254-1777.
Thank you for your referrals!
If you are a medical professional and would like to request information about the Fertility Center of Las Vegas please contact Shiva Price, Director of Provider Relations at 702.496.5425 or via email to:
CLICK HERE if you have a patient referral.